Friday, July 6, 2012

Silhouette Pendants & Resin

I've seen a lot of decoration with silhouettes lately and thought they were really cute. Many of the tutorials I found gave game complicated instructions on how to photograph your child then trace by hand and cut out by hand which I just thought sounded like too much work. I finally found a tutorial on how to do all that with photoshop. From there, it was super easy to open the picture in my silhouette studio and have it cut in vinyl. The only tricky part was getting the scrapbook paper to fit in the pendant just right. I knew the dimensions of the pendant and just sized down from there. I made several different sizes and cut them out on scratch paper first. I found the perfect size, copied it 3 times and sized the silhouettes to fit inside. I did have to use YES paste to glue the paper in the pendant. Then I put the vinyl silhouette on and added another coat of YES paste because I didn't know how the vinyl would react to the resin. I mixed up the resin and poured it on. It's supposed to degas on its own and remove all the bubbles, but the next morning there were still some bubbles which I foolishly attempted to remove with a hair dryer, which created more bubbles. So then I attempted to use a pin and pop them. Well that just pulled some of the resin up. Finally I decided to just leave it alone. It dried and is far from perfect, but I'm pleased enough with it to wear it. I think I might try a bracelet next time.
Any suggestions out there on how to remove bubbles without pulling the resin up?

1 comment: