Thursday, June 7, 2012

Flower Barrettes

My brother in law got married a couple weeks ago. My sister in law and I thought it would be fun to have all the grandkids match for the pictures. So she made all the bow ties and a dress for her daughter, and I made 3 dresses and all the hair bows. I found a great tutorial on pinterest for these flowers. It was super easy and simple and I LOVE how they turned out. My little model, isn't she so cute?! You cut 6 circles in the shiny-vinyl-ish fabric, each getting progressively smaller. And make 5 cuts halfway in around the side. The tutorial says to use a tea light for the next part, but it was so small it didn't work well for me. So I grabbed a regular candle. You hold the fabric about 2 inches above the flame, and watch it curl! At first I tried it with a lighter, just on the edges and it didn't work very well. So it's important you actually hold it 2 inches above the flame. Then you stack the flower petals. You can glue each one on to the other if you want. I just stacked them and sewed on the pearly beads for the flower center to hold them together. Then I just hot glued them onto a barrette and voila! A flower! They looked so cute on all the girls!

3 comments:

  1. How is it that I did not know about this blog>????
    I'm Lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin! They turned out so stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Look at you go! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete